Thursday, November 18, 2010

You Gotta Snack:


Since I have lost so much weight on my own people often ask me what I am eating.  Its true that you have to eat to lose weight, but you have to eat the right kinds of foods.  Its true that 80% of weight loss is your diet.  Its a simple formula called calories in vs. calories out.  I have found that the best way for me is to have breakfast normally a Protein Shake (Shakeology), or oatmeal w/ fruit or some cereal. I bring my lunch and snacks to work.  If I don't I have learned that I am tempted to go out and eat and then I usually go over board on the calories.  To figure out how many calories you should be eating  in a day you can go to this link and put your numbers in.  
Why should I snack and what should I eat?  You should snack thought the day so you don't get to hungry before your meals.  That way you wont overeat for your big meals of the day.  I try to keep my snacks under 200 calories and I try to eat a little something every 2-3 hours.  So breakfast at 8am and then a snack at 11am lunch at 1pm snack at 3pm dinner at 6pm and a snack at 8pm if needed.
Here are some of my favorite snacks:
  • Fruit ( Bananas, Apples, Pears, Oranges etc...)
  • Nuts (Pistachios, Raw Almonds, Walnuts, etc...)
  • 100 Calorie Yogurt w/ Nuts  (I like to eat a few nuts about 10 with a yogurt)
  • Vita Tops (These are muffin tops that are only 100 calories and they are full of fiber and non fat)
  • Fiber one Bars (Chocolate and Peanut butter) Loves them!
  • String cheese
You can make your own snacks (100 Calorie Packs).  Instead of buying the pre-packaged snacks buy a big box and figure out what a serving is and put that amount in a sandwich bag.  Open bags = Saddlebags so don't keep open packs of munchies around the house.
There are soooo many cookbooks out there with healthy recipes and you can get it to work for you.  Try to add more whole grains and fiber to your diet and it will help you feel full longer. 
This is a lifestyle change so don't force yourself to eat things that you don't like, and don't deny yourself things just change the portion.  I had a 2 pound box of chocolates from See's Candy in the house when I was trying to lose weight.  But instead of eating the whole box I would eat one piece each night after dinner and that was my treat.  I know that I like to eat something sweet after dinner so I keep fun sized candies around the house so I only eat one piece.
Thanks for taking the time to read this....and I hope that all of you are able to achieve your fitness goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews