Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Transformation

I was watching "What not To Wear" last night and I realized that the process that all the contestants go thru is what I went thru as I lost weight and changed myself.

The contestant that was chosen was a 30 year old female that had recently lost 40 pounds and was hiding behind her drab wardrobe.  She had very low self esteem and really had not come to grips with her new changed self.  It takes the mind a while to adjust to big changes in our lives and changing our appearance is one that seems to take longer than say a new haircut or color.  There are so many things that are effected in our lives weather we have gained or lost weight. When I had gained weight I remember realizing that articles of clothing would not fit and so I would go up a size.  That was something that I had a hard time with.  I remember going on trip with my husband to Disneyland and it was very uncomfortable to drive in the car and bounce around on the rides.  It was not until I looked at pictures of myself at Disneyland that I decided enough was enough.  It is at that point that the People that get nominated for "What Not to Wear" when the show begins.

When Stacy and Clinton ambush their newest fashion victim they are at their bottom and clearly need some assistance and at time a hard look at their self worth and how they got to be where they are. The Nominee is often a little in denial about their circumstance and will cling to things that feel safe and give them comfort.  Its at this point that they are told how they should be dressing and they are given rules that work specifically for them.  We all have different personalities and so there are many different ways to approach fitness and health for everyone. Then they get rid of the bad clothes.... this is always humorous to me because I can't really believe that someone would walk the street in some of these outfits.  But to compare scenarios we can all go thru our pantry's and fridges and get rid of the foods that would be toxic to our bodies.

Then there is the first shopping day.  This is where the participant trys stuff on that is normally all wrong and sometimes right for them and often times they have a nervous breakdown.  I think that its key and really relates to how we fell when we decide to change our lives and introduce more exercise and a more healthy diet.  Often times we go all out and are way to extreme and with time give up all together and go back to our ways.  With out instruction and some understanding we can get wrapped up in a quick fix and fall victim to those that are selling that to us everywhere.  There is NO quick fix.  If you lose a bunch of weight really fast your body will rebound with you gaining it all back and then some.  The only way to lose weight and get to be a happier you is to go about a lifestyle change, and it is pretty easy with the right support.

Now here comes the support portion. Stacy and Clinton meet with the shopper and help them realize any shortcomings they might feel they have from the day before on their own.  They go thru and pick out for that person key pieces that emphasis their strong body parts and mask the ones that they are not comfortable with.  They have that ah hah moment when that person can see that there is a reason for all their advice the day before and they build a new wardrobe and a new way of approaching their self worth.  The contestant realizes that they are worth a little time and money if its going to make them feel happy.  Plus they realize that they can spend a little money on something that they can wear over and over again. 

After they get their hair done and makeup they are all put together.  At that point they reflect on the journey that they have just gone thru and the ways that they are changed.  I often marvel at the fact that a persons confidence and attitude can change so much from taking some time for them and putting on some new clothes.

The reveal... this is the point when the friends and family wait for that person to arrive.  they walk in and wham there is cheering hugs and crying.  Its touching and very sweet to see all these people pulling for someone to change.  This is what I felt as I began to lose weight.  People would come up to me and tell me how great I looked.  People told me that they did not recognize me and that I was a totally different person.  People were asking me left and right what I had done they all wanted the same results. I could not hold back and I told my story of change to everyone. Several friends of mine began to do the same exercises and get results.  It was so much fun to see others change because I helped them.

This has been one of the most rewarding things that I have ever done in my life and I am excited to pass it on to others. If you need someone like Stacy and Clinton to help you find what you need I am your girl.  You can send me an e-mail @ debbie_a_linn@yahoo.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews